Friday 22 March 2013

Cheltenham Festival - Lessons Learned

One of my mundane, but understandable and uber useful, roles at work is to ensure future projects learn from past projects. Should be no different with punting. James Pyman wrote up his lessons learned in the RP today, so I'll piggyback:

1) Stick with your gut instinct on decent novices. The New One & Champagne Fever my two to take aways. I had massive hopes for both The New One and My Tent Or Yours hence the antepost bets @ 20/1 (both for supreme though). I bailed on The New One because of the bug at the Twiston Davies camp and I was worried about a similar impact such as on the Nicholls camp as the previous year. Nigel told us not to be worried. I didn't listen and The New One was 5/1 on the day. Ouch

2) Irish Form - You need to know it - The reason I didn't back Champagne Fever was not because I didn't think he was decent. My mind just couldn't compare form lines and I'm probably biased towards the English bunch. Mistake. This horse won the freaking bumper here, Mullins raved about him and it breezed up some decent sorts. Again was 5/1 in the morning. Another massive loss was Our Conor. He thumped Diakali with ease on previous race who is amongst the best juveniles in Ireland. Silly price. Yes, hindsight.

3) Sticking with Irish theme - Irish Novice Chasers - Except Simonsig we pretty much got shredded.

4) Antepost - I was better this year than last year, but there's little point unless a trainer has confirmed a target or you get NRNB/NRFB. I had The New One 20/1 antepost, shame it was in the bloody Supreme and not Neptune! BetVictor are doing NRFB for the 2014 festival. I took Big Buck 3/1 max bet.

5) Prep races - No biggie. If a horse is class it's class. Bob's Worth.

I'm sure there are dozens of lessons learned  but each will be different for each punter. These are the ones that won't balls me up next year....he says


No comments:

Post a Comment